Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction
Substance use and abuse on campuses across the nation
We’re not here to tell you what you should and shouldn’t do when it comes to drinking and experimenting with drugs. You’re an adult now, and you can make your own decisions. We’re simply here to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
Before you put any substance into your body, it’s definitely smart to find out as much as you can about it. The Internet is a great source of information, but it can be hard to separate fact from propaganda.
This section is a good place to start. We take an unbiased look at all of the most popular drugs on college campuses, some of which are illegal and some of which aren’t. We fill you in on how each drug works, what the potential side effects of use are and any other tidbits you need to know.
- Alcohol. Drinking has been a part of college culture for generations. In fact, if you ask your parents, they’ll probably have a few classic stories about the times they got sloshed in college. They probably don’t have reliable information about how to tell if your friend has alcohol poisoning, what constitutes alcohol dependence and how to help prevent a hangover, though. We do.
- Nicotine. You’ve heard it a million times: Smoking cigarettes will kill you. We investigate why so many students are still choosing to light up. We also offer some tested-and-true strategies for kicking your nicotine addiction.
- Caffeine. Are you dead to the world each morning until you get your hands on a grande mocha latte with a triple shot of espresso? Do you have to chug three cans of Red Bull before you go to the bar in order to stay awake? Sounds like you’re hooked on the world’s favorite drug.
- Marijuana. Yeah, yeah. We know. You think it should be legalized. Here’s an idea: Take the time to make sure you’re fully informed about the pros and cons of marijuana usage before you start going to pot rallies. You might be surprised what scientists have discovered about those little green buds.
- Hallucinogens. “Whoa… Maybe it was the drugs I took, but I just saw a glowing purple dragon cross through the seventh gate into the world of Zordon.” Yeah, it was the drugs.
- Cocaine. Do you wonder why your roommate’s always sweating, sniffling, licking his lips and grinding his teeth? Is he prone to violent outbursts and begging you to lend him money? Chances are he’s a coke fiend. The blood dripping out of his nose is also a dead giveaway.
- Amphetamines. What other drug can boast that it’s been prescribed to kids who can’t focus their attention, issued to fighter pilots by the government, abused by procrastinating college students and blamed for causing the worst national drug epidemic since crack hit the streets in the 1980s?
- Prescription Drugs. Do you think you’re safe because you’re getting your drugs from the bathroom cupboard rather than a guy on the street? Think again.
- Steroids. “Dude, just a few more injections and I’ll officially be jacked to the extreme!” You’ll also be covered in acne, turn yellow and grow boobs. Not so extreme, after all.
- Rape Drugs. Your dads are right, ladies: There are some scumbags out there. When you hit the club, you have to watch over your drink. Learn how to protect yourself and still have a good time.
- Gambling. There’s no substance involved in the case of gambling addiction, but there’s still a danger of getting hooked. If you’ve ever turned down hanging out with your friends in order to stay home and play online poker, this page is for you.