Fashion

Staying up on the latest trends in campus couture

There are always going to be a few kids on campus who take fashion statements to the extreme. Usually, 5 percent of these risk-takers are genuine trendsetters and the other 95 percent look ridiculous in their Dr. Seuss hats and Birkenstocks.

The vast majority of students are much more conservative in what they wear. College kids are less susceptible to fashion trends than high schoolers and much less likely to sacrifice comfort for style. This might be because college students have less time to shop and a lot less money to do it with.

Sure, there are some variations in fashion preferences between regions and cliques, but they’re less significant than most people think. Whether you attend school on the East Coast or on the West Coast, and whether you’re an athlete or a neo-hippie, chances are that you usually stick to the basics -    jeans and a graphic t-shirt or sweatshirt.

Unofficial Fashion Rules

The rules here won’t help you become a fashion plate on your campus, but they’ll definitely help you ensure that you never make a fool of yourself by committing a major faux-pas. Staying somewhat stylish is easy; all you have to do is:

  • Buy clothes that fit. If your roommate had to help you get into your jeans this morning, they’re too small. Buy clothes for the size you are, not the size you want to be. You’re kidding yourself if you think that squeezing into clothes a size too small will trick people into thinking you’re thinner than you actually are. In fact, the tightness of your too-small clothes will have the opposite effect.
  • Go easy on the official college apparel. It’s cool to own a sweatshirt or a hat with the name of your college on it, but when you’re decked out from head to toe in branded merchandise, you look like a billboard.
  • Don’t always flaunt it, even if you’ve got it. Cover up from time to time. Your skin could use a break from its constant exposure to the elements. There’s no law that says you have to look like a runway model every day. It’s okay to wear sweats and a baseball cap to class when you’re feeling under the weather.
  • Take calculated risks. It’s okay to show a bit of skin every now and then, but be smart about it. If it’s a windy day and you have a long walk across campus, you might want to leave the short, frilly skirt at home.
  • Dress for the weather conditions. You look ridiculous in a miniskirt and halter top when it’s minus 20 degrees out.
  • Remember, shoes are everything. You could be wearing a garbage bag, but if you’ve got a cool pair of shoes on, you’re good to go.
  • Don’t over-coordinate. No matter how much you like pink, it will never look good if you wear it from head to toe. The same goes for every color and style. A big belt buckle is a cool way to bring some western flavor to your look, but if you match it up with a cowboy hat and boots, you’re taking it too far. On second thought…
  • Never wear a cowboy hat. Ever.
Advertiser Links for College Students
[what's this?]