Getting Over a Relationship
Here’s an idea: stop playing depressing music
You got dumped. That sucks. You probably feel about as bad as you ever have. Though there’s no magical cure that can make you feel better, there are a few things you can do to speed up your recovery:
- Dig deep. Breaking up can make you feel terrible. Have the courage and motivation to maintain a healthy and motivated lifestyle. The pain from a breakup is temporary, but letting your health or grades slip could have long-term consequences.
- Spend some time apart. After you break up, it’s best if you don’t see your ex for a while. Don’t call, don’t e-mail and especially don’t stalk. This will allow you both the time to get over each other and give you the best chance of being friends in the long run. Sit apart from each other if you are in any of the same classes, and try to not wind up at the same bar on the weekends.
- Break stuff. Go ahead and tear up your photos of your ex. Smash the CD that he or she gave you for your anniversary. It can help to let out a bit of aggression; just be careful not to do anything you’ll regret later.
- Write something. Express your inner torment on paper. Hey, maybe you’ll end up with the lyrics for what will become a hit song. At the very least, you’ll probably have a funny poem or journal entry to look at a few years down the road.
- Have some fun. Though you might not feel like leaving your room, it’s a good idea to call up your friends and make plans to do something fun with them. It will help get your mind off thinking about your ex. That’s what friends are for.
- Be careful about rebounding. Getting into another relationship right after you break up is a great way to help you forget about the pain you’re feeling, but rebound relationships can actually end up causing more pain. Make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.
- Move on. You can’t live your life hoping that you’ll get back together. The sooner you accept that it’s over for good, the sooner you’ll start to become interested in other people. Soon, you’ll once again be living the single life and loving every minute of it!
Advertiser Links for College Students[what's this?]